Спорт
Техника
Градове
Религия и мистика
Фен клубове
Хоби, Развлечения
Общества
Я, архивите са живи
Клубове Дирене Регистрация Кой е тук Въпроси Списък Купувам / Продавам 17:02 27.04.24 
Култура и изкуство
   >> Литература
*Кратък преглед

Тема a work of my ownнови  
Автор Бoзa Kocмaтa ()
Публикувано18.10.05 04:23

To talk about my own work is difficult. If I must talk about it at all I would rather come at it sideways, through the work of writers I admire, through broader ideas about poetry and fiction and their place in the world.

It is a strange time; the writer is expected to be able to explain his or her work as though it were a perplexing machine supplied without an instruction manual. The question 'What is your book about?" has always puzzled me. It is about itself and if I could condense it into other words I should not have taken such care to choose the words I did. In any case, if a finished piece of work is inadequate without copious footnotes from the author, it is inadequate. I have tried to make it clear, in these essays and elsewhere, that the language of literature is not an approximate language. It is the most precise language that human beings have yet developed. The spaces it allows are not formless vistas of subjectivity, they are new territories of imagination. Unlike the language of mathematics (which I admit is beautiful), the language of literature need not be pared of emotion and association to avoid error. Human beings cannot avoid error, even the purest mathematician would accept that, and wild readings of strong texts are no commoner than the wild inferences of science. We are a speculative, subjective, changing people and each new generation considers itself more enlightened than its predecessor; a view that science both encourages and depends on.

Literature (all art) takes a different view; human nature, emotional reality is not seen as a progress from darkness to light but as a communication, with ourselves and across time, so that work entirely out of date by scientific standards is as fresh and meaningful to us as it ever was.
Whereas science outdates the past, art keeps it present. Whereas the language of science tries to eliminate error, chiefly by the use of agreed symbols carrying an agreed value, the language of literature seems to be able to contain error by being greater than it. For instance, Shakespeare has not been sunk by the weight of four hundred years of scholarly and popular interpretations, and we do not much mind if we see a poor production of our favourite play because we know that very soon we shall see a good one, perhaps even one which takes us closer into the core than we thought possible.
And what is the core? Nobody would agree, there is no such a thing as an agreed value Shakespeare. This is not because Shakespeare is less precise than a mathematical equation, it is because he is unfixed. Language is movement, and I do not mean inevitable development or deterioration, I mean that words are fleet-footed things and when right run, escape us at the place where we think we have wrestled them flat.

All good writers aspire towards such precision and movement, and the experiments that writers must make are for the sake of new frequencies of language which in turn allow new frequencies of emotion. The writer has to choose a word, every word, that is solid enough for its meaning and powered enough for its flight. The word will have to cross time, the word will have to survive assault. At certain stages of its history, the word will be a good parcel dropped among refugees. At other times it would seem a luxury, possibly a decadence. The word, to be read by male and female, young and old, to be read as high culture or original sin will have to stare back at every pair of eyes set upon it, will not wear thin through too much use. The word, every word, will have to hold ints own in the sentence, in the paragraph, in the chapter, in the book, on the bookshelf, in the library, as chanted, as whispered, as defamed, as ignored, as seized, as libelled, as sung into a hymn of praise. All this the word, every word, must withstand and escape, to tell its story, now multiple, now threadbare, wheresoever it falls. The choosing of the word is like the arming of a knight and if it seems ritualistic, obssessive, absurd, then remember that its perils and its obligations are sacred; that is, consecrated, devoted and set apart.
The language of literature is not the language of the everyday. Human beings have made it Other. One of the jobs of the writer now is to go on respecting it as Other.

Тема инициалинови [re: Бoзa Kocмaтa]  
АвторБ.K. (Нерегистриран)
Публикувано18.10.05 04:29

j.w.

Тема Re: a work of my ownнови [re: Бoзa Kocмaтa]  
Авторgarconne (Нерегистриран)
Публикувано18.10.05 12:24

Това сякаш напълно елиминира функцията на лит. критика :)
Или само аз го разбирам така?

Тема Re: a work of my ownнови [re: garconne]  
Публикувано18.10.05 22:04

ами, не бих казала; поне според мен текстът не държи да го направи.
самата авторка пише и литературна критика.

Автор armydreamer (science)
Публикувано18.10.05 22:22

Това да не е Уинтърсън?
Би ли дала заглавието на книгата/есето/каквототаме?

Много ми хареса. Вече дори го разпратих насам-натам .

fiction

Тема Re: a work of my ownнови [re: armydreamer]  
Автор Бoзa Kocмaтa ()
Публикувано19.10.05 15:08

Naked I came into the world but brush strokes cover me, language raises me, music rhythms me. Art is my rod and staff, my resting place and shield, and not myne only, for art leaves nobody out. Even those from whom art has been stolen away by tyranny, by poverty, begin to make it again. If the arts did not exist, at every moment, someone would begin to create them, in song, out of dust and mud, and although the artifacts might be destroyed, the energy that creates them is not destroyed. If, in the comfortable West, we have chosen to treat such energies with scepticism and contempt, then so much the worse for us. Art is not a little bit of evolution that late-twentieth-century city dwellers can safely do without. Strictly, art does not belong to our evolutionary pattern at all. It has no biological necessity. Time taken up with it was time lost to hunting, gathering, mating, exploring, building, surviving, thriving. Odd then, that when routine physical threats to ourselves and our kind are no longer a reality, we say we have no time for art.
If we say that art, all art is no longer relevant to our lives, then we might at least risk the question 'What has happened to our lives'? The usual question, "What has happened to art?" is too easy an escape route.

I did not escape. At an Amsterdam gallery I sat down and wept.

Тема Re: a work of my own [re: Бoзa Kocмaтa]  
Автор armydreamer (science)
Публикувано19.10.05 18:33

If we say that art, all art is no longer relevant to our lives, then we might at least risk the question 'What has happened to our lives'? The usual question, "What has happened to art?" is too easy an escape route.
Поредното хубаво нещо тези дни.

А това:
That night two lovers whispering under the lead canopy of the church were killed by their own passion. Their effusion of words, unable to escape through the Saturnian discipline of lead, so filled the spaces of the loft that the air was all driven away. The lovers suffocated, but when the sacristan opened the tiny door the words tumbled him over in their desire to be free, and were seen flying across the city in the shape of doves.

и това:
Dream. Dream myself into what I might be, out of what I have become. In the dream there is a tall mirror hinged into a case. The woman in the mirror has an unknown face. There is a sadness about her but at the side of her body, a bright light, as though the skin will burst and something alive tumble out. When I put out my hand to touch the mirror it is as warm and thin as a membrane of skin.
Do you wake up as I do, having forgotten what it is that hurts or where, until you move? There is a second of consciousness that is clean again. A second that is you, without memory or experience, the animal warm and waking into a brand new world. There is the sun dissolving the dark, and light as clear as music, filling the room where you sleep and the other rooms behind your eyes. The sun has kept his promise and risen again.
Part of you or one of you responds to this; wakes because the sun wakes, just as the earth wakes, and what can grow will. Nothing has changed this, no matter how technic, nor how remote, I go on opening my eyes to the sun.
This gives me hope. It connects me when I am most in need of connection. The grey city and its lost hearts force their way between myself and my healing. I cannot be still, wait for an answer, I can only hear the roar of the traffic and the misery under it. I am one more noise, one more pain, each locked off from the other.
Let the sun come. Break sense into nonsense, I have lain caught in the lunar crayfish night in blue waters too deep for me. I swam but there was no surface. When I fought to come up for air I came up into other waters. Where was I in the night where two dogs howled at the moon and a ruined tower reflected down at me?

са ми много любими. Някои хора могат да бъдат убедителни със завидна лекота .

fiction

Тема Re: a work of my ownнови [re: armydreamer]  
Публикувано20.10.05 05:04

пуснах тук нейни пасажчета преди почти година време,

Автор Cив (pumpkin king)
Публикувано20.10.05 15:19

:)

Тема Re: a work of my ownнови [re: Cив]  
Публикувано20.10.05 16:59

здравей.
а j.w. е страхотна.
това, което не винаги се вижда в текстовете й, но на живо е особено ясно изразено, е чувството за хумор, с което ги пише.

*Кратък преглед
Клуб :  

Clubs.dir.bg е форум за дискусии. Dir.bg не носи отговорност за съдържанието и достоверността на публикуваните в дискусиите материали.

Никаква част от съдържанието на тази страница не може да бъде репродуцирана, записвана или предавана под каквато и да е форма или по какъвто и да е повод без писменото съгласие на Dir.bg
За Забележки, коментари и предложения ползвайте формата за Обратна връзка | Мобилна версия | Потребителско споразумение
© 2006-2024 Dir.bg Всички права запазени.